Website

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Lighthouse Opporto


Life can be a little complicated at times and we are having one of those weeks. So no painting today.
Above I have shown a page from my sketchbook. It is the lighthouse at Opporto. Again a simple composition but sufficient detail if I wished to do a painting from it. I am always fascinated by lighthouses and the stories around them. Here is quite a well known story.


One night in rough seas and poor visibility, a ship’s captain saw the lights of another ship heading toward him on a collision course. He had his signalman contact the other ship: “Change your course 10 degrees south.” 
The reply came back, “Change YOUR course 10 degrees north.”
The ship’s captain answered, “I am the captain of  the Unites States Battleship Nimitz – change your course south.” 
To  which the reply was, “Well, I’m a seaman first class – change your course north.”
This infuriated the captain, so he signaled back, “This is the most powerful and largest battleship in the world I say change your course south. ”
To which the reply came, “And I say you had better change your course north. This is a lighthouse.”
Sorry the link is a bit obvious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMXFSp4yfm4

No comments:

Post a Comment