Website

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Light Railway



The painting above sold last week during the exhibition. Today I finished the commission I had been working on. I have another one to start but there is no rush on that one.

Last night I watched a programme on Welsh Steam trains. It was very interesting showing unique footage of the railways before they were all axed. It reminded me of Pat Cochrane a real gentleman from Newtown. He had been a fireman on the Llanfair Caerienion Light Railway before it was shut by British Rail. He told me that one day the driver let him have a go at driving the train while shunting goods. Guess what he de-railed it. He couldn’t believe it and neither could the driver. The driver was in a spot because he couldn’t say that he had let an unauthorised person drive it so he had to take the blame.


I understand they had to call a crane from Wolverhampton to come and get it back on the rails.


This is for me another fine example of “If it can happen it will happen!”

No comments:

Post a Comment