Website

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Shrimping


The painting above is one I finished yesterday. It shows three boys shrimping at Saundersfoot. I like the composition, which is unusual. Today I started on a drawing for a commission. Alex has been away to our daughter’s and is home later


I was watching a traffic warden the other day sauntering up the street in an anorak and reflective vest and my mind went back 30years to a real character Cliff TW16 in Welshpool.

Your modern day parking attendant/traffic warden I am sure do a good job but how I would like them to have spent a day with Cliff. Everyone in the Town knew him. He was a man of presence. Six foot tall, ramrod straight, smart serge uniform, bulled boots moustache and the bearing of an ex-military man.

There was no arguing with Cliff and he had no favourites. It didn’t matter who you were.

He was once heard to say to a rather flustered octogenarian in a Triumph Herald,

“I don’t care if you are Lady Powys you can’t park here.”

There was rarely a traffic problem if he was about and he was well respected by everyone. Of course underneath his tough exterior he had a real heart of gold.

They don’t make them like that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment