Website

Sunday 15 May 2011

Heroes


The watercolour painting of Dinefwr Castle above is one I did earlier this month.


I don’t have a great sense of smell due to an operation I had as a child. I was in hospital during the Christmas period when I was about six years old. Later in life I had a job for a short period as a hospital porter. This was at the Orthopaedic Hospital in Selly Oak, which dealt with many types of condition including hip replacements and amputations. There were a large group of children in the hospital with many genetic complaints and accidental injuries. What was absolutely amazing was the attitude of these children.

Despite months of confinement and numerous operations they were the most positive group I have ever met. They were always ready to make you the butt of their jokes and were a real pleasure to deal with. Of course the staff also made a big contribution to this environment. The doctors and in particular the nurses were totally dedicated to them. This was all despite pretty poor facilities and a building that was originally built as the local workhouse in 1870.

More recently of course many other heroes were treated there when injured soldiers were transferred to the hospital from both Iraq and Afghanistan. I will however always remember the attitude of those children and how they dealt with adversity and the kindness shown by the staff of the hospital.

Today I am helping hang paintings in the gallery of the local co-operative in Origin Dyfed.

No comments:

Post a Comment