Website

Sunday 31 July 2011



The sketch above is of Waterloo Place in London near the Mall Galleries. I know the column is a bit wonky but it was a five-minute sketch and I was a bit under pressure. (Alex had run out of shops to visit and it was starting to rain). I just felt the need to record the scene.

We like to visit London once or twice a year to go to the galleries but I am quite happy when we are on the train home. I would hate to live there. It’s too busy, noisy and fast. Everyone seems in a rush. We tend to stay overnight in a hotel to make the most of the visit.


A couple of years ago our daughter and son-in-law went to London for their wedding anniversary. He booked them into the Ritz as a special occasion. As usual they were rushing and late setting off. My daughter apparently had just washed her hair and some clothing. She didn’t have time to dry the clothes so she put them on the back seat of the car to dry on the way.
They apparently pulled up outside the Ritz in their very tatty 10 year old Vauxhall Vectra with underwear all over the back seat and rear window. The doorman took a lot of convincing that Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo had come to the right hotel but was very sweet afterwards. The Ritz is actually a very nice Hotel. It does have high standards but the staff are very good and not in the least condescending.
I was sorry to hear recently it had been identified as a target for terrorists.
As I write the Grandchildren have gone home and we are now restoring the house to its former glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment