Website

Sunday 3 July 2011

Superficial Chess

The painting above is of my Grandfather and Grandmother. We lived with them for a while when I was growing up. After my Grandmother died my Grandfather used to take me to the cricket at Edgbaston. Subject of a previous post.

In the evening I would play chess with him. I was about 9 at the time. If I beat him I would get a sweet. I rarely got a sweet but I enjoyed playing anyway. I played chess for some while and eventually got reasonably proficient. My brother and his son are both players as well. In fact my nephew was a County Player and I believe ranked in the top 200 for the UK.

Anyway I digress we took a chess set away with us last time we went in the camper and Alex let me beat her, at chess. So maybe we will play a bit more in the future. I am not really in to all the literature and studying previous games. I find that a bit anorak maybe a bit like discussing the meaning of a Salvador Dali Painting. (Not that I don’t quite like his work on a superficial basis and after all he could paint).Life is complicated enough without looking for hidden meanings. I tend to accept things for what they are. With me what you see is what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment