Website

Tuesday 26 July 2011

River Towy




The painting above is the picture I did yesterday and finished this morning. It is a view of the River Towy half a mile to the East of Carmarthen.


Alex and I went to the swimming baths (okay leisure centre is the modern term) this morning to take our grandchildren to a swimming lesson. Afterwards they had sweets and drinks. Our grandchildren had more sweets today than I saw in 6 months as a child. It reminds me of when I used to go swimming as a young boy a gang of us would go. Now you have to be accompanied by an adult. I used to go to Saltley Swimming Baths. As I recall it was built on the site of the old police station in the 1920s and was basically a small rectangular pool with cubicles all around the outside. It could also be boarded over for dances. The tiles were dark gloss green and it had a high arched ceiling. It was always pretty busy and I guess for many of the kids in the area it was the only time their bodies saw water. The new council houses had indoor baths and toilets but for the many these were new luxuries. As for me I was bathed in a tin bath in front of the fire and our toilet was outside.

Oh yes the good old days!


Tomorrow I am in the gallery and I have yet to decide what paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment