Website

Sunday 20 April 2014

Boys Shrimping


The above painting of boys shrimping was sold last week. I don't often do paintings of people but now and again I feel like doing something different. It is for me a painting about the innocence of being young and those long lost summers of our youth, but like any painting it is what the viewer makes of it.

Salvador Dali made many interesting quotes one goes something like this, " Just because the painting had no meaning to me when I painted it, that does not mean the painting has no meaning." In other words a painting is there to be interpreted however the viewer wants, but don't put words in his mouth.
For the most part with my work you get what you see.  The painting is my interpretation of a view seen through my eyes. Of course if you want to look deeper into the painting and intellectualise it that is fine too, but who does it say more about the artist or the viewer?

I enjoy reading quotes from Dali here are a few more:

"A true artist is not one who is inspired but one who inspires"

"Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating: It is either good or bad."

"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since."


(As an aside I note with some dismay my old primary school in is one of several schools in the national news for all the wrong reasons). 

No comments:

Post a Comment