Website

Friday 31 January 2014

Rain



As I drove back from the gym this morning the rain had arrived in buckets. I spied an old man carrying bags on his way shopping obviously undettered. Either that or he had no choice.
I have tried to capture the general picture above in a little watercolour sketch. I noted when I finished it the brush I had grabbed to do it was my Windsor and Newton Series 7 number 6. This brush has a recommended price of just under £50. I never use it, I don't like it as I don't think it holds sufficient water/paint. I use a cheaper sable brush series. Anyway after buying it I let Windsor and Newton have my view. They must have been impressed as they never replied. Anyway to be fair it actually seemed okay for the sketch.

The sight of the gent reminded me of an incident that involved our son. He is a very sociable and personable lad. He has in the past stopped his car to help people change a tyre... Anyway last year he saw an old lady struggling with her shopping and walking out of town. He stopped and asked her if she was okay. She said she had missed the bus (there aren't many around here). He asked her if she needed a lift assuming she lived in Carmarthen. She thanked him and got in his car. He asked her where she lived and it turned out to be a village 25 miles away. It took him over an hour to get there and back, but he was happy enough. A week later he saw the same lady struggling with her bags walking passed the bus stop. He then twigged she often did this and paid no mind to the times of the buses. He didn't stop this time.


1 comment:

  1. I love this painting. Here is a poem from my soon to be published collection of poetry. Your image captures what I wrote about perfectly.

    A PENNY FOR THOUGHT


    I sit motionless
    in a rented sedan
    watching the silent winter
    fall on the empty street.
    A wet brown leaf
    tumbles like a memory
    down the cold sidewalk.
    Across the street
    a wind-bent and hatless
    old man waits
    for the light to change.
    His tattered trousers
    flapping like surrender flags
    against his frail legs.
    Braced against a mail box,
    he carefully lowers himself
    onto the pavement.
    He is halfway across
    when a honking bread truck
    narrowly misses him.
    The old man studies
    the truck for a moment
    and then plods across
    to the other side.
    He pauses to wipe
    the rain from his brow,
    adjusts his ragged coat,
    and with short choppy steps
    he sets off up the street.
    After a few yards
    he stops and peers
    down at the sidewalk.
    with great effort
    he bends to one knee
    and picks up
    a wet brown penny.
    He examines the coin
    as if it were a jewel,
    and carefully puts it in his pocket.
    A heavy rain begins to fall
    as the old man turns back
    and wanders towards the crosswalk.
    I start the car up
    and pull away from the curb.
    The importance of this event
    will remain undeterminable.

    ReplyDelete