Website

Monday 20 January 2014

Carn Menyn - Preseli Mountains


I have a commission which involves doing a large painting of Carn Menyn from Carn Bica. These are Neolithic sites in the Preseli Mountains. Carn Menyn has been identified as the origin of the Blue Stones in Stonehenge.

Anyway I have been keeping an eye on the weather and today seemed to be okay. The Forecast was virtually no wind, mild (comparative term), and good visibility with the occasional shower, some mist above 500ft in the morning.
Okay well be prepared I have walked in the mountains and have been liaison officer with mountain rescue in years gone by.

I took good walking gear and rucksack with flask, sandwiches, camera, sketch pad, map and compass. I included my pochade box in the car but in the event decided not to take it when I arrived in Mynachlog Ddu. The skies were overcast but the tops of the Carns were visible and not covered in cloud but it was drizzling! I was not going to have the opportunity to do an oil painting.

To cut a long story short I had a good walk up there found the spot I needed and started to do a quick watercolour sketch. The rain came in before I had got far (shown above) and then the mist came down. I stayed where I was, had my sandwiches and tea. The mist lifted after 20 minutes and I took several reference photos. I then made my way back down in the rain.

Anyway I got what I needed. I have the land marks and should be able to do several paintings should I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment