Website

Thursday 10 May 2012

Adventures in Washing


The watercolour above shows the little church in the village of Olden which is situated at the end of a Fjord about 23 miles long? I stood on the side of the road to paint this. I could probably have stood in the road as I think we only saw about 2 vehicles.
I think I have mentioned that Alex is away with our daughter so Jac and I are having to make do. I am pretty much an organised person so my days are planned in my early morning walk. I have been walking the dog and breakfasting until about 7.30am and then doing a couple of hours domestic chores!
When Alex left there was a huge pile of washing as we had been away. Now fortunately I am a modern man (well modern for the 1950's) so this was not a daunting task. My first memories of washing day were as a child turning the great mangle for my mother while she ran the clothes through it. My next experience was as a single man. Things were a bit more practical then, two shirts and seven collars would last a week. You only needed to iron the front top of the shirt as that was all that  was in view. Trousers were different I could spend 20 minutes getting a razor sharp crease in my trousers and using soap to rub on the inside seam to hold the crease. Anyway I digress.
I found the washing machine and plumped for setting "D" as it was in the middle. I couldn't find any powder.
On closer inspection in the cupboard I found washing liquid? Easy a splash of that four loads later and I was in to the ironing. The iron was temperamental. Fortunately I started on bedding not Alex's dresses as no matter what I did it was hot enough to melt solder (or the bed linen). It also had steam ! ( in my previous experience I had put a wet tea towel over the clothes). Jac decided to leave the room as  the smell of singed cotton was beginning to make him sneeze. I finally got the iron to a temperature that didn't start fires and turned off the steam. I made my way through the mountain until in the last washing basket I found a blue ball in the bottom. I think I was meant to put the liquid in that on reflection? Anyway who will know?
Yes I am a modern man although you can say I wear the trousers in this house. You can say it, but it isn't true. Alex just lets me think that!
Ah now to do some painting and this afternoon teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment