Website

Friday 14 January 2011

And then there was light


Okay so here is the finished still life of Willow Pattern. The light was finally good enough today to photograph it.

Many people paint under artificial light, for instance all those people who attend art at evening classes. I have painted under artificial light in the past but would not do it now. I know when you think about it this isn’t really logical because all paintings are seen under artificial light when they are hung. I find the colours just don’t work out, as I want them. There again all the great masters painted indoors and it wasn’t really until the impressionists came along that artists went outside to paint. So I guess I am in the minority on this one.

I will give you a tip though. When you are considering buying a painting in a gallery always look at it in daylight. At least put your hand to shade the painting from any spotlight. Don’t put your hand where it will get burnt. You will be amazed how much difference it can make to a painting. This may well avoid disappointment when you get home. What was once bright and full of life may now be dull and lifeless.

Another thing to look for is poor framing and mounting.

If you are paying for luxury item, which paintings are, don’t accept frames that don’t join or marks on a mount.

Today I didn’t get any painting done. Domestic and caring chores took precedence, that’s life.
Anyway I thought this joke was quite appropriate, as I have been talking about light.

How many modern artists does it take to change a light bulb?

Four.

One to throw bulbs against the wall,

One to pile hundreds of them in a heap and spray-paint them,

One to glue light bulbs to a cocker spaniel,

One to put a bulb in the socket and light the room

No comments:

Post a Comment