Website

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Cellist ~ Busker


I was in the gallery this morning and had a couple of visitors otherwise it was pretty quiet. I did a painting of Burry Port again. The painting above is one I did last week and is of a cellist busking. He was very good, well I thought he was. I am interested by the cello as I took it up myself for a very short period.The cello is most closely associated with European classical music, and has been described as the closest sounding instrument to the male human voice.


When I went to secondary school we were all asked to take up an instrument. Most boys were already playing an instrument those that weren't chose the violin or trombone. I got what was left a cello. I didn’t mind. It made a bit of a screeching sound for me but I thought I would improve.

I hadn’t really thought it through though. I was told to take it home to practice. I lived over 2 miles away and normally walked to school. I tried to get on the bus with it but was refused so I had to carry this thing, which was probably as big as me. I also had to run the gauntlet of some rather unsavoury characters who delighted in bullying and beating up boys from the school. Anyway after heaving a cello 2 miles home and back I told them I was averse to playing it. The end of my musical career.

No comments:

Post a Comment