Website

Saturday 20 December 2014

Sailboat on the Towy


I came across this watercolour the other day when I was searching for a painting. It is a simple little thing showing a sailboat working the tide in the muddy water of the Towy Estuary. I like simplicity, particularly in a watercolour.

I am by nature a pretty calm person. I can only recall two occasions that I have ever lost my temper and panic is alien to me even when I have been afraid. I may be grumpy, well Alex says I am and she's a pretty shrewd judge of character but I am always calm. This has stood me in good stead over the years particularly as a policeman. Karate re-inforced this trait in me. Control is everything in karate. So either I am missing the flight gene or as the saying goes;

"If you can keep your head while all around you are losing theirs, you have misread the situation!"

Where am I going with all this? Well I may be controlled but I am severely tested by the number of phone calls we get for, "Mr and Mrs Jones." Mr and Mrs Jones should be eternally grateful we are fielding all these nuisance calls for them. We actually bought the house of Mr and Mrs Jones 25 years ago. Its not just one company either it is consumer surveys and everything under the sun. We must have the most sold telephone number on the planet. And yes we are registered under TPS.

We bought a call blocker once but it didn't work. I don't get many problems with my mobile. Mainly because I often forget it or it somehow switches itself to silent. Alex has a nuisance call regular as clockwork 5pm to 6pm everyday on hers. Maybe its the North Koreans? I look back to the time when if we needed to call someone we went to a little red kiosk with a handfull of pennies and had button A and Button B to press. Yes all things considered it had much going for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment