Website

Sunday 30 December 2012

5 Whys ~ Sakichi Toyoda



I finished the above painting today. It is a commission for a book cover. I thought I would post it on here as it is something different and I still have copyright at present. It is not what I would normally paint but I enjoy a challenge of doing something different.

I have previously said I look at my work very critically and one good way of doing this is using the 5 whys method developed by Sakichi Toyoda.

Here is an example of an imaginary painting

If a painting looks wrong for example then ask the question 

why is it not quite right?
because the composition looks out of balance 
why is it out of balance?
because there is a large primary colour at the bottom
why is there a large unbroken primary colour at the bottom
because I didnt plan or fully visualise the work before I started
why didn't I plan it or fully visualise it
because I rushed into it
why did I rush into it unprepared
because I am a knob!

Anyway you get the point it is a good method for drilling down into the basic cause of an unwanted result.

No comments:

Post a Comment