Website

Saturday 15 April 2017

Merlin's Hill and Abergwili


This is apainting showing  the view of Merlins Hill and the village of Abergwili from the other side of the valley from where we live. Some of our grandchildren go to the school in Abergwili while we have others going to the school in town and away.

I was surprised to see that the parents had lost their case about taking their children on holiday in school time when they were unable to go in the holidays. Frankly as I may have said before my grandfather took me out of school pretty much every time there was a test match (cricket) at Edgbaston. Nowadays schools are quick enough to have INSET days and send the children home and I note it doesn't stop teachers going on strike. Parents can educate children at home or even take them travelling with them with little or no oversight but a weeks holiday is illegal. It is all a bit odd to me.

I should state my best friends were teachers, my mother was a teacher and my daughter in law is a teacher. So I have no issue with them in fact how they do the job I don't know, ( it wouldn't be for me).
I just think the system is a little too rigid, education is more than just school room.  If schools weren't graded on absenteeism then maybe the teachers could be more flexible?

No comments:

Post a Comment