Website

Saturday 5 July 2014

Figures on the beach


The picture above is a page from my sketchbook that I did whilst in Padstow. I like to catch figures of all shapes and sizes. Drawing them simply in a few lines and then adding a bit of colour after. Its all good practice.

On our morning walks in the West Country Jac and I saw all sorts of birds ranging from little dunnocks hopping along the path in front of us and then in and out of the hedge rows, to curlew wading in the mud. Yellow hammers seemed plentiful and their colours were enhanced by the early morning sun. My favourite bird which greeted us each morning as we crossed the fields is though the sky lark.

I am an optimist by nature this bird appeals to my soul with its beautiful song and fluttering flight. It rises with song and flutters down to silence as it lands. It is nothing to look at just a medium brown bird having a bad hair day, but what a voice!

"Up with me into the clouds!
For thy song, Lark is strong:
Up with me, up with me in to the clouds!
Singing, singing,
With clouds and sky about thee ringing,
Lift me guide me, till I find,
That spot which seems so to thy mind."  William Wordsworth

 Link Lark Rising Vaughan Williams.



No comments:

Post a Comment