Website

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Dogs


I did this little series of sketches whilst sat out last week. Yes you get the idea people and dogs.
Whenever I take Jac out people always stop and make a fuss of him and chat. I do likewise. I guess its  a dog person sort of thing.

Anyway Alex and I were talking to an elderly couple who had an old black German Shepherd sporting some nasty injuries.
They told us the following story.

They had been walking when an American Pit Bull Terrier (or something similar) leapt out of a car ran down the road and attacked their dog. It caught the dog around the head and they couldn't get it to let go. They were extremely distressed and this was happening in the centre of the town with passers-by trying to help. The owner turned up and he eventually got it off. The German Shepherd was badly bitten with cuts and bleeding over his head and neck. The lady was in tears.

The part I found sad was that they told us that they called the police "who didn't want to know". This is something that surprised me as I was unaware that the Dangerous Dogs Legislation had been repealed. (It hasn't and the updated powers were introduced to give the police powers to deal with this type of incident). Now I am naturally a very big supporter of the police and it is my experience that they generally do all the big things really well. The majority of the public however only ever need to ask for help with "the little things" ( if you can call being attacked by a dangerous dog a little thing)  and it with those that the police occasionally don't do so well.

Fortunately the general public came to the assistance of the elderly couple and even blocked the path of the owner of the Pit Bull preventing him taking his car until he gave his name and address to enable them to reclaim the vets expenses. ( Although whether he will ever pay is another matter).

 This did not happen in West Wales and I would expect that if it did the Police would take a better course of action after all the next victim could be a child in a pram.

( Bit of a heavy blog this morning where did all that come from? Memo to self "Must get off my soap box".)

On a lighter note I am getting on well with my painting this week despite a morning in the dentist and some necessary work in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment