Website

Thursday 26 August 2010

Drawing to a conclusion


This was the last day of the exhibition and admittedly it has been a case of a fast start and a slow finish. We did sell another painting today of Venice but unforgivably I find I have again either failed to record an image of it or somehow lost it. Considering I have an external drive and automatic back up I guess I just forgot.
So pictured above is a drawing of trees from Aberglasney.
On the question of drawing I feel these days it is very much underated as: a pastime, basic excercise for an artist, or an end in itself.
Drawing contains most of the requisite skills for the artist:
The ability to frame a decent subject.
The ability to draught an image in proportion to reality.
The ability to identify the relevant values(tones).
The skill to put this together.
I admit I dont draw as often as I should but I do undertake numerous sketches from some of which I produce paintings. A sketch to me is a short hand form of recording information allowing me to use it at a later date if required and may take anything from 2 -10 minutes. My drawings may take anything up to 3 hours and are generally a finished article in themselves although I rarely sell them or even keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment