Website

Thursday 5 August 2010

Bridge 159


Yesterday I painted Bridge 159. This is a bridge on the Brecon to Abergavenny Canal near Llanfrynach. The painting above is one I did last week of the same Bridge but from the other direction.
We stopped on a site next to the Bridge and it had a beautiful view down the valley and sight of the Beacons in the other direction. I was however taken with the bridge reflection and barge.
I have a fondness for the canals. When I was young my father bought a ships lifeboat and put an old Austin 8 engine in it. We then went around the canal system in it. At the time the canals were in disrepair and there were even a few horse drawn barges still in use. I remember one in Birmingham carrying refuse.
The lock keepers cottages were all derelict and the gardens were a great source of fruit. These days its all changed but they must still be a tranquil way of seeing the country and there are lots of great subjects for the artist.
My family are coming to stay for a couple of days so we can go off to London so I wont be posting anymore until I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment