Website

Tuesday 6 September 2016

Supermarine Spitfire Painting


I decided to do something different. It was raining and no chance of getting out for a couple of days so I did a a Supermarine Spitfire. It is actually a MK 1X with a four blade prop. I wanted to capture the impression of speed as it came towards you with its Merlin engine pulling it along.

 I did draw this out before starting to paint and I had thougth about doing a second Spitfire in the middle distance but changed my mind feeling it was unnecessary.

When I was young I used to go passed the old Castle Bromwhich works that used to assemble Spitfires.  Years later when I first got married we bought much of our belongings from a WD surplus stores at Canon Pyon. The hangar had an old Spitfire outside (and a Hawker Hunter). We bought everything from old pans to an ironing board which served us well for many years. Now I am getting boring and its time to collect one of the grandchildren.




No comments:

Post a Comment