Website

Sunday 8 March 2015

Something or nothing


This is a painting from a few years ago showing cattle near Libanus in the Brecon Beacons. I do tend to meander between semi loose impressionism and quite tight realism depending on how I see it at the time. This is a very loose fast painting with a ground put on before going in to building the picture.

I don't believe in coincidences in general. I also have no great belief in the hereafter. For what its worth here is something or nothing. My mother died a couple of months ago after a very long illness. She was a creative person had a good knowledge of art and in general had no time for cubism post modernism ..etc.

I was at home in the kitchen with Alex that day when all of a sudden a breadboard that had comfortably lent against the wall for years fell and broke a ceramic pot I had made in cubist style. Five minutes later we had a call from the Care Home to say my mother had been lying down in bed five minutes earlier when suddenly she had opened her eyes sat up then passed away to the sound of "Amore".

 A few weeks later the family all met up in a pub in Mid Wales to have lunch prior to scattering my mother's ashes near her home. As the family sat down to lunch the radio was on and what song came on? "Amore." Something or nothing who is to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment