Website

Wednesday 6 April 2016

Commission stage 1 - Grisaille



This is the first stage of my current commission. Before setting out I carefully think through what I am going to achieve and how to get there. Each painting will differ in its approach.

 Here I am using a mix of techniques for doing this. As you can see I have started with a general rough outline and then gone in using a grisaille underpainting technique for the detail of the castle only. This is essentially painting in greys (actually made up of crimson alizarin (or alizarin crimson whichever you prefer), ultramarine and cadmium yellow with titanium white) to get the tones correct. I will then paint in with the colour palette on top. It may sound a bit convoluted but it works (well for me anyway and other more talented artists of the past).

No comments:

Post a Comment