Website

Friday 20 December 2013

Fred Dibnah and traction engines


I did the above painting of a traction engine today. I painted it on a carmine ground and painted it directly with no underlying drawing or laying out. Sometimes this approach can pay dividends if you are after a painterly finish (see link forexplanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painterliness ).

It may be my last painting before Christmas. Alex has started to move crates and other things into the studio in preperation for the invading hordes so I guess thats a hint. (On the other hand I may be able to sneak a bit of painting in if I am subtle).

I like steam engines and as a boy I often went to the Science Museum in Birmingham where they have terrific working steam and beam engines. When I was older I also went around some of the old factories such as Guest Keen and Nettlefold and was shown many of the engineering processes. Even when I was a policeman in Birmingham there were still many small work shops left over from the Victorian era and I was shown the hand presses and tool making that they were involved in. I had many parts made for my old WD Ariel mainly by the apprentices as part of their training. It has all gone now as have many of the skills they had. I knew men who could throw a thread on brass by hand on a lathe using only a hand tool and their eye for measurement. I eventually I taught myself basic engineering skills and made working model steam engines and boilers as well as making parts for our boats. (Although I sold my lathe and tools about a year ago).

I loved watching the Fred Dibnah series on television a real enthusiast who made history come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment