Website

Thursday 2 May 2013

Pembrokeshire Cottages


I started a painting today. I had a painting in mind for a while of a larger version of some cottages in Newport I had done previously. I found the right frame so it was time to get on with it.
I used ochre and brown umber with neat turps to draw the picture mostly using the negative space to outline the buildings. It may look a bit odd but trust me it will be fine. This gives me a sense of the composition and the tonal values.

Next I work from the top using my own medium and oil getting the background done. You can see it is starting to take shape now.


I then work on the foreground. Having the some ochre ground makes it easy to have fractured colours in the trees and grass. ( Fractured colours are areas of broken colours showing through and against each other).
Anyway the final painting is shown below. The mountain is Mynydd Carningli.


No comments:

Post a Comment